Affordable Care Act
Call to Action
There are plenty of ways to get involved. Please click on the links below to learn more.
- ACA Black Media Day in California – August 24, 2012
- ACA Town Hall Meetings – August 24, 2012
- ACA Sunday, September 23, 2012
- Participate in CBHN’s Health Happens Here Month – October 2012
ACA Black Media Day in California – August 24, 2012
March 24th, 2010 the ACA was signed by President Obama. Search for stories, editorials, interviews, and examples of how the ACA is working in California and highlight, publish, or feature stories in newspapers, on radio and on television on this day.
Examples of stories Media can do around the ACA
- People who have access to screenings – Are you someone that did not have access to health screenings and now you do?
- Children staying on their parents insurance until the age of 26
- Pre-Existing Condition Stories – Did you or someone you know have no access to health insurance because of a Pre-Existing Condition, but now under the Affordable Care Act, you do?
- Senior Citizen’s Stories and Prescription bills – Are you a senior citizen whose prescription bills were too high, but now you have access to affordable medication?
- The 8 new categories around Women’s health access and screenings – Are you a woman that now has access to affordable:
- Well -woman visits
- Contraceptives and related counseling
- Testing for human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Counseling on sexually transmitted infections
- Screening and counseling for HIV
- Screening for gestational diabetes
- Breastfeeding support, supplies, and counseling
- Screening and counseling for domestic and interpersonal violence
- No lifetime limits on health insurance policies – Did you have limits on your health insurance policy and now you don’t?
California Black Health Network is tracking community stories around the ACA, please share your stories with us.
ACA Town Hall Meetings – August 24, 2012
CBHN will partner with organizations, agencies, and churches to bring information about the Affordable Care Law into communities of African Americans, teaching them about the benefits, about accessing those benefits, and showing them how to train and teach others. CBHN will also focus on eligibility, enrollment, and Health Benefits Exchange issues.
- Are you holding Town Hall Meetings around the ACA?
- Would you like to have a Town Hall Meeting around the ACA?
If so, please contact Edward Lewis @ (916) 993-3693 or firstname.lastname@example.org for workshop facilitators and details.
ACA Sunday, September 23, 2012
CBHN encourages every church in California to dedicate sermons to the issue of affordable health for all Californians; to talk about prevention and wellness and building healthy African American communities; to host healthy potlucks and spend the afternoon in creative and fun exercise activities designed for the entire congregation.
This is an all day event. Here is a sample agenda for your ACA Sunday.
- 11am health speaker (if you need a speaker, contact Edward Lewis, CBHN Speakers Bureau on Health Manager at (916) 993-3693 or email@example.com).
- We Eat Healthy Potluck
- Here’s to your Health Community Walk (30 min)
- “The ACA: it Blesses you and your Family” workshop
Participate in CBHN’s Health Happens Here Month – October 2012
- Do Your 30/30 – Exercise 30 minutes a day, 30 days in the month
- 30 days of F&V – Eat at least 3-5 servings a day of Fruits & Vegetables
- Drink to 30 – Drink a gallon of water a day for 30 days. 1/2 Gallon= 64 Oz which = 8 Glasses
- Tell 30 Your 30 – Share your story with 30 people on how you are participating in “Health Happens Here” Month.
- 30 Sweetless Days – Go 30 days without soda, juice, candy, or anything sugary.
Please share your stories with CBHN, tell us what you are doing to promote the Affordable Care Law and to Build Healthy Communities. We will feature some of these stories at the CBHN 2013 Annual Conference in Sacramento next year along with providing prizes and incentives for the top three Colors of Commitment Building Healthy Communities contest winners. Join our Colors of Commitment Initiative. Also, don’t forget to purchase your COC wristband for you, your organization, church or family.
1 Wristband= $2.00
50 Wristbands= $100
100 Wristbands= $200